On 19 January 1945, the area of the former KL Plaszow was taken over and occupied for about one year by the Red Army. The Regional Commission for the Prosecution of Nazi Crimes made two site inspections in the area. Photographic documentation was produced then, showing the post-camp area as a desolated place without vegetation, where camp infrastructure was almost completely dismantled. The photographs taken by the Commission depicted no blocks, only few remainders of masonry structures. Victims of the camp were commemorated soon after World War II by two monuments: a cross erected on the H-Hill, the location of mass executions and interments, and an obelisk erected near the C-Pit by the Jewish Religious Community in Kraków.
Five commemorating projects were carried out later in the post-camp area, not all relating to the history of the camp. The most prominent of them is the Fascism Victims Memorial designed by Witold Cęckiewicz and unveiled in 1964, commemorating all victims of the camp. A post-camp area of 0.37 sq. km was entered in the list of historical monuments in 2002. The area represents less than one half of 0.80 sq. km occupied by the KL Plaszow in 1945. The remaining area was developed with buildings in the post-war period.
Several unsuccessful attempts were made to comprehensively commemorate the camp over recent decades. The Kraków Municipality did not announce an architectural competition for the development and commemoration of the KL Plaszow area until 2006. The competition was won by a Kraków company trading as Proxima. The proposal was modified in 2018 and will be implemented by a newly established Museum: the KL Plaszow Memorial Site. The German Nazi Labour and Concentration Camp (1942–1945) (in organization).