Calendar KL Plaszow

March–July 1942

forced labour camps known as Julags (Judenlagers) were established to detain Jews, near the railway expanded by the Germans at Wielicka Street (Julag I), in the districts of Prokocim (Julag II) and Bieżanów (Julag III)

October 1942

Julian Scherner, SS and Police Leader in the Kraków District, made decision on the construction of a forced labour camp for Jews (Zwangsarbeitslager Plaszow des SS- und Polizeiführers im Distrikt Krakau – ZAL Plaszow)

11 February 1943

SS-Hauptsturmführer Amon Göth was appointed the commandant of ZAL Plaszow

13 March 1943

the Kraków Ghetto was liquidated and about eight thousand Jews were detained in the camp. The Germans killed during that operation about two thousand people whose bodies were interred in a mass grave in the area of ZAL Plaszow. Also victims of executions carried out in the camp were buried there. The location was known as “bagier”, meaning an excavator that was actually operated there.

May 1943

transports with Jews arrived to the ZAL Plaszow from the liquidated forced labour camps in Kłaj, Czarny Dunajec and Nowy Targ

July 1943

an educational labour camp for Poles was established within the ZAL Plaszow

September 1943

transports with Jews arrived to the ZAL Plaszow from the liquidated ghettos in Bochnia, Tarnów, Rzeszów and Przemyśl

September 1943

the first execution on the H-Hill (the former FS 21 rampart) was carried out; executions in the former location of “bagier” were discontinued

November 1943

the Julags were liquidated, their prisoners were transferred to the main camp, and eventually sent to the forced labour camps in the Radom District: Skarżysko-Kamienna and Pionki (women) and Częstochowa (men)

10 January 1944

the ZAL Plaszow was reorganized as a concentration camp (Konzentrationslager Plaszow bei Krakau, KL Plaszow)

February 1944

Jews from the liquidated forced labour camp in Szebnie were transported to the KL Plaszow

February 1944

the execution area was relocated to the C-Pit (the former FS 22 rampart) because graves in the H-Hill were filled with corpses

March 1944

the commandant of the camp gave an order to establish a children’s home (Kinderheim)

15 April 1944

1100 Jews from the liquidated forced labour camp in Drohobycz were evacuated to the KL Plaszow

7 May 1944

major selection was made (known as a health roll call) to send about 1400 prisoners, including children from the Kinderheim, to the KL Auschwitz a week later

June–July 1944

Jews were transported from Hungary and from the liquidated camps in the Lublin and Rzeszów Districts to the KL Plaszow

August–October 1944

evacuation transports were directed from the KL Plaszow to the KL Gross-Rosen, KL Mauthausen, KL Auschwitz, KL Ravensbrück, KL Buchenwald and other camps

September 1944

the Germans began to remove traces of their crimes by burning the corpses of execution victims

14 January 1945

the last group of prisoners of the KL Plaszow (about 600 people) was evacuated towards the KL Auschwitz